Learn a strategy on how to plan and then accumulate the images your clients will pay good money for
Before we get into this podcast, just a quick reminder that applications for the next PhotoProfit 8 Week Course, How to Make Your First $5k in Photography, are now being accepted. CLICK TO APPLY NOW!
In this PhotoProfit podcast I interview Charlie Borland from Oregon. He has been shooting professionally for over 30 years and has his images published in National Geographic, Time Magazine, Outdoor Photographer, Newsweek, NY Times and dozens of other publications.
Today we talk about how to make money as an outdoor and nature photographer. Charlie shares with us his strategy for how to plan and then accumulate the images your clients will pay good money for. We run through a case-study of how to get started shooting a kayaker: How to approach them, what to offer them in compensation. We talk about model releases and then how to take those images and get them in front of the right people.
He has a very smart tip that no one is doing any more – and I’m sure it will get the attention of the right people, the ones who will pay you for your images. If you have ever wanted to make a living from your outdoor and nature images, then this is the show to listen to. Charlie also has a very good course on how to do all of this, so check it out in the show notes.
In this episode:
(01:35) – Why is it important to know how to be professional outdoor photographer?
(03:45) – How to get started with outdoor/nature photography
(05:39) – How to get to client and their needs
(08:34) – Samples on how to get outdoor shots and sell it to a client
Why is it important to know how to be professional outdoor photographer?
- Many people have a passion for outdoor and nature
- Ideally turn them into a business to make money
- Goal to make money and keep travelling
- Some people do them as a hobby during vacations
How to get started with outdoor/nature photography:
- It’s not any other kind of business
- Product needs to appeal to specific client
- Figure out who’s going to buy your photography
- Figure out how they are going to use it
How to get to know the client and their needs:
- Find people doing their activities
- Work out some arrangements
- Go to them and photograph
- Plan ahead of time as to where the needs are
Samples on how to get outdoor shots and sell it to a client:
- Just start shooting so you won’t miss action
- Hang around and approach them
- Handouts some cards
- Get a model release
- Contract between you and the model
- Allowing you to make money and use the photo for commercial use
- Photo agencies to market them
- Email every 3 months
- Sending out postcards
- Small mailing list
- Follow up
- Build relationship
- Closing the deal
- Always go a little bit high on the price
- Know how to develop a price
- Getting the money & delivery
- Request a purchase order
- Get the money then send the image
- Get testimonials
- Get referrals
Do This Now
Make sure you Subscribe to iTunes so that you get each new episode as it’s released each week. Also, leave me a rating on iTunes if you like the show. It really helps my podcast get noticed.